If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Audio Book Review: Sterling By Dannika Dark

Sterling
(Mageri #1)
By Dannika Dark

Length: 9 hours and 58 minutes
Narrator: Nicole Poole

Zoë Merrick lived an ordinary life until the night she was brutally attacked. She narrowly escapes death, rescued by Adam Razor, an ex-soldier who offers her friendship and a place to stay. But something else is different. Zoë is unable to control an unexplainable energy coursing through her body.

Justus De Gradi is a man who can teach her that control. She meets him by chance - a man who's handsome, arrogant, and not entirely human. He reveals that she's a Mage - an immortal made of light, not magic. Zoë must now make a choice: Rebuild her life in the human world with the man who saved her, or live with Justus and learn how to use her extraordinary gifts. Justus has sworn an oath to protect her life, but can he guard her from the one man who has a right to claim it?

Zoë learns the price of freedom...and the value of loyalty.
Goodreads Button
Available At:

Check Out The Other Books In This Series:
(Linked to my review)




My Review:

This is the third time I've picked this novel up. The only difference this time is that I found it in myself to finish reading/listening to it. I had a hard time getting into this novel because it's different from all the other books I've read by this author. This book was very story driven and romance always took the back seat, which is the complete opposite of her other book series (Seven Series & Closer novella) that I've read up to this point.

I liked Zoë (AKA Silver) overall, but I still think she's too impulsive and acts before she thinks even knowing it's going to get her in trouble. I'm presuming that she's going to end up with Justus (which isn't a spoiler because it's a theory of mine at the moment). Their guardian and learner relationship was very awkward and I liked it. It made that all the more real considering no one in their right mind would be comfortable with all the extenuating circumstances. 

Justus seems to have various sides to him and it doesn't look like we've seen what he's capable of. I adored how he tried to help Silver and still follow the 'law'. Everything wasn't thrown to the wind because he brought her into his life. I can't wait for him to open up to her a little more.

I loved Simon. He has a few very crude and very funny one liners. He would break the ice in a serious conversations with the weirdest things. He was a very entertaining character. On the other hand, Adam was one character I didn't particularly enjoy. I liked how it all ended, but I would have been happier if he hadn't become such a big part of the story.

Overall I wish this story had been more romance heavy, but I understand that it doesn't pertain to the genre (urban fantasy). I did enjoy it, which surprised me considering this is my third try with this series. I do plan on continuing on with the next book in this series.

The Audio Book:

I can't really explain it, but something about how this was recorded bothered me. Maybe it's all in my head but the narrator's voice seemed muffled by something. I've listened to other recorded audio books by this narrator and never had a problem. This seems like the odd man out for some reason or maybe my headphones are slowly dying without me realizing. The world may never know...

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...